Friday, May 2, 2014

Nani Iro Bird's Eye Double Gauze Washi Tunic Top

Phew, that was a mouthful for a blog title, right?

I have been wanting to try sewing with double gauze for about two years. I waited and waited because it is rather expensive ($20 a yard). Once day I finally decided to splurge on my favorite-most-wished-for double gauze- justifying it by making (and selling) an infant dress from the leftover fabric scraps. I am so glad that I did because it is amazing.



Double gauze is essentially two pieces of cotton gauze that have been needle punched together to create one piece of fabric. It is extremely soft, but thick enough to not be transparent (unlike one layer of gauze). Double gauze is mostly made in Japan. Nani Iro is a popular designer that makes many amazing water color prints.

I squeezed enough fabric to make a tunic top and a baby dress (in process) out of 1.5 yards of fabric. I was cutting out of small scraps to finish the baby dress, but it all fit. Hooray!



I am pretty much in love with this top. I adore the colors and it feels so comfortable.

You will probably recognize the pattern since I have posted it several times before. It is the Washi pattern from Made by Rae. This is my 6th Washi dress/top. The pattern goes together so smoothly. I can't recommend it enough. If anyone from Made by Rae is reading this pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease make a license to sell this soon. I'm dying here!


I made some modifications this time. I added one inch length in each of the front shoulder straps, then used the extra ease to create pin-tucks in the neckline.



I am including this pattern in the Made By Rae Spring Top Sewalong and Selfish Sewing week. Phew, two events at once!

3 comments:

  1. oh, how very cute!!!! yay! and that would be one cute baby outfit too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I want to see pictures of the baby dress too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...