Monday, August 12, 2013

Make your own Waldorf doll (links)


A good friend of mine recently gave me a Waldorf doll kit. I've wanted to try making a Waldorf doll for a while, but never got around to getting all of the supplies (which are not that much) for it.

What supplies do you need?

Wool or other stuffing medium
Flesh colored knit 1/4 of a yard should do the trick with some left over.
Yarn for hair
Colored thread for eyes, mouth and detail work of body
Strong cotton string
Stretchy tube thing (like a thick nylon stocking)
Beeswax crayon or something similar for cheeks

I followed two tutorials online. This one shows in great detail how to make the head. This post covers most essentials of the body and reiterates most of the first tutorial about the head. They both have printable pattern pieces, though you may need to tweak them to get the right size.

I used a different method for adding the hair. Sandwich strips (lots and lots) of yarn over similar colored tissue paper (or tape). Sew a tight seam down the middle, then rip off the tissue paper. Now you will have a strip of parted yarn hair that you can hand sew on the doll's head. There are lots of other tutorials online if you search "how to add doll hair" or something like that.

These dolls are very expensive ($100+) to buy, but if you make one it is very inexpensive. I made the whole thing from start to finish in one day. Granted, I devoted a lot of time to it, but I still had plenty of time leftover to make breakfast, lunch, dinner, go to church and watch two episodes Deep Space Nine. Haha.


My daughter fell in love with it before it really had a form. It was just a ball of wool stuffed in a white tube with some strings, no face or anything. I made the body, attached the finished head and also made a quick dress while she was napping. She was so excited when she woke up!


I certainly made some doll making rookie mistakes, but I'm pretty satisfied for a first attempt. I hope you give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm super excited to make one of these for Lucy! She has just begun showing an interest in stuffed animals and baby dolls. Thanks for making me realize it's not a pipe dream to make one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...