Monday, July 15, 2013

Save lots of money by making your own vanilla extract



Making vanilla extract is super easy. I have been doing it since last November. Actually, what that really means is that I made one batch last November and have been using it ever since.;) I also used it for handmade Christmas presents.

To my horror, I thought I had one more jar of it. Nope. I only have a tiny bit left, so I hurried out to get more supplies.

What you need:
Cheap Vodka. Yes.
Vanilla beans (I get 1/4 lb of them from Amazon) I use a ratio of 1 bean to 4 ounces of Vodka.
Glass jars (Instead of recycling glass jars, I save them for this)

I spent about $29 on beans and Vodka, which makes 1.75 liters. I could to to our local grocery store and buy two ounces of McCormick Vanilla for $4.39. Yikes! At those prices, I am getting the value of $129 worth of vanilla for $29! A HUNDRED DOLLARS CHEAPER. Plus, I have a lot of beans left over than I can use to made delicious whipped cream, ice cream or anything that vanilla bean would be splendid with.

So, how do you make it?

Cut a slit in the vanilla bean, put it in the vodka. Put a lid on it and let it sit for at least three months. I have heard said that the longer it ages, the better it tastes, so, with that in mind, making a lot at once makes sense. I didn't start using mine for about four months. I will never go back to store bought vanilla extract.

I use vanilla a lot, so this saves me a good amount of money. :)


1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to try this for years. I think you've talked me into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...