Monday, June 10, 2013

Conversation with an email hacker

Has your email ever been hacked? A friend's? Have you ever wondered what would happen if you replied to a hack email? My email was once hacked (not recently; I never posted it before) A desperate plea for money was sent (from someone claiming to be me) to my friends. I had been stranded and mugged in London and needed money wired A.S.A.P. Thankfully, all of my friends realized it was a scam (perhaps the broken English?) so there was no problem.

However, my dear husband decided to see what would happen if he pretended to believe the artifice. Thus began the interesting email exchange between him and the hacker.

Here it is.


Urgent Problem!! 
Rebekah Adamoschek
Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM 

Reply-To: verdanttbents@yahoo.com

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,i came down here to,England for a short vacation and i was mugged at gun point last night,at the park of the hotel  where i lodged all cash,credit cards and cell were stolen off me, thank God i have my life and passport.


I've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all,they asked me to wait for 3weeks but i can't wait till then. my flight  leaves in less than few hours from now and am are having problems settling the hotel bills.

The hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the hotel bills,am freaked out at the moment you can speak to the hotel manager+447024094501 you can wire the money to me through western union all you need is Name on my passport and location below.

Name:Rebekah Markewich Location:10,Tooley Street, London SE1 2BY, England. Amount:$2,450 I'll def refund your cash as soon as i get home.

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM
To: verdanttbents@yahoo.com

Hey Beka, it's Matt. I didn't realize you were in England! I hope I'm not too late to help out. Can you please let me know how much you might have gotten so far? My wife and I can give you whatever you need. I hope you still have internet access! Are you okay?

Rebekah Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM
To: Matthew Markewich

Thanks for replied, a friend just wired $800 all i need right now is $1,650 you can have the money wired to me Via western union information below....keep me posted with the western union transfer details.

Name:Rebekah MarkewichLocation:10,Tooley Street, London SE1 2BY, England.Amount:$2,450

I'll def refund your cash as soon as i get home.

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM
To: Rebekah Markewich

Beka, do you need that in pounds, euros, or dollars? I forget if they use one of or all three of those currencies. Thanks.

Rebekah Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM
To: Matthew Markewich

You can have it done in pounds .

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM
To: Rebekah Markewich

OK, sure. I'm sorry to bother you again about this, but I don't know how much $1650 is in pounds. Don't they use rubles in England too? Can I send it to you in rubles?

Rebekah Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM
To: Matthew Markewich

You can have it wired in pounds not rubles keep me posted with the western union transfer  details .

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM
To: Rebekah Markewich

OK Beka, I will be sending it promptly in rubles. So how was your vacation otherwise? I had no idea you were in London. What did you do while you were there? I know now may not be the best time to talk about it but since we will be forwarding the money I assume you are not too busy to talk right.

Rebekah Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM
To: Matthew Markewich

Am freaked out at the moment, i will brief you in full as soon as am back am in a public library right  now...keep me posted with the western union transfer details .

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM
To: Rebekah Markewich

OK, I am very sorry. It can't be so bad though, right? At first you weren't allowed to leave the hotel but now you are at the library. I am in a library right now, too. Right now I am with my friend Jeff. We are eating Subway sandwiches and talking about the good times when we were all in the Windham fencing team. Remember how Jeff accidentally stabbed the dog in a practice joust? I know it probably adds to your current anxiety to recall this situation but maybe you can find the humor behind all the sadism. Jeff and I agree also with the idea you said last week that it would be cool if guns were replaced with nuclear-tipped sabres and we could all joust in massive campaigns for global supremacy.

Did you get to climb Mt. Fuji while you were there? I know you've always wanted to. Or is that in China? I can never remember since England and China are both big islands.

Rebekah Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:51 PM
To: Matthew Markewich

Keep me posted with the western union transfer details.

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM
To: Rebekah Markewich

Rebekah, I have sent the requested rubles, as stated, 10,Tooley Street, London SE1 2BY, China. I am so happy you'll be back. Please let me know if there are any complications. Jeff says hi and he is picking his nose. GROSS!

Rebekah Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM
To: Matthew Markewich

I will need  the western union  details,get back to me with the details (MTCN) number.

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM
To: Rebekah Markewich

Dear Beka, I am sorry but I realized that you are not in China. I was confused by my Mt. Fuji reference. I have called Western Union and they are canceling the order. I am resending to 20 Tooley Street, London SE1 2BY. Is that fine?

Rebekah Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM
To: Matthew Markewich

Thanks for the mail, all you need to get the money wired to me is my name and present location below....keep me posted with the western union transfer details.

Name:Rebekah MarkewichLocation:10,Tooley Street, London SE1 2BY, England.

I'll def refund your cash as soon as i get home.

Matthew Markewich Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM
To: Rebekah Markewich

Dear Beka, the number is 5482041921



This is when I guess I was found out. Probably because the number didn't work. Hm...

5 comments:

  1. oh boy...

    FYI, you may want to delete your email address via blog as it is away for more spam to come...

    when I had these problems I changed to have both my yahoo and gmail accounts have passwords that were different than they were AND added my smart phone to get a text with a verification number so that it would be much harder for hackers to come in.

    I once was almost fooled by a kjiji add (like craigslist) about a rental property when I was apartment hunting in Ottawa ~ these are more dangerous ~ I could of been renting or meeting God-only-knows and it could of been a real danger. One cannot be too careful....

    Hope you are doing well on this June day!

    It is raining here in my neck of the woods, am about to make dinner and my Mr. Husband is on his way home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens. (c; Glad your husband had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious! Why not have a little fun, right? :) Wish I'd have thought of that when I got one of those emails from my "dad"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently took an online class on Irrational Behavior taught by Dan Ariely. In one lecture he mentioned spam emails seeking money. They intentionally put in bad grammar & broken English to weed out the less gullible. Dan speculated that we could really slow down scammers if everyone started replying to them in the way your husband did.

    I've not been brave enough myself, but that was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...