Friday, May 24, 2013

Thoughts on baking everyday foods



I have been baking a lot. To justify my delightful Kitchen Aid stand mixer purchase last Christmas, I have been baking more often. I made a rule for myself not to buy most things that I could bake. That rule is more or less followed in that if I don't bake bread I don't buy it, but then we don't have any to eat. Since that isn't pleasant, it keeps me motivated.

I have found that keeping huge canisters of staples next to my mixer makes baking so much easier since I don't have to dig anything out. My measuring cups are close by as well.

So what are some staples that are simple to make at home?

Bread
Pasta
Bagels
Crackers
Pizza
Tortillas
Bread crumbs (use leftover bread)

Another reason why it is better to make these at home is that most of the above foods are often laden with preservatives. Yuck! If you want to buy organic to avoid that, it is quite costly. Baking them at home saves me lots of money and is much healthier.

Of course, not everyone has time for this. Before moving into a home with a giant kitchen and dropping my part-time job, I didn't have time for it either; I bought everything. Just do what you can and don't beat it yourself up over it. I don't mean to give the impression that I bake everyday- I don't! There are plenty of times when there are no baked goods even in the house.

Giving up the notion that you must always have bread in the house helped me a lot. Sure, I like to have it around more often than not, but you can be very healthy without eating it all of the time.


2 comments:

  1. I love my Kitchen Aid mixer, too. I use it weekly for muffins and prosfora. I haven't tried any loaf breads yet, but I've been thinking about it. Your post may just give me the extra motivation to do it. I'm too lazy for pasta, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kitchen aid mixers too! it is calming to bake! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...