Monday, May 14, 2012

Cook eggs without having to scrub the frying pan!

Probably everyone already knows this, but it was news to me. Life changing news. I can't even tell you how many eggs we've eaten since finding this trick (think dozens in the last two months)

This is NOT an non-stick pan

I was sick of scrubbing nasty egg frying pans (I have done it the hard way for years) so I decided to Google a better way. I have no idea where I found it, but it is pretty common knowledge out there in the internet world. I combined a couple of ideas for what I now use.

1. Heat the frying pan before adding anything (very important. I also do this with my wok).

2. Add about a tablespoon of oil and swirl around to coat the sides (be careful that it doesn't drip and cause a fire!).

3. Add the eggs before the oil gets too hot (I don't know if this changes anything, but I do it.)

As you can see in the picture, the frying pan comes out so clean! I do not use non-stick pans, so this is a big deal for me!

4. Uh, oh, there will be some egg stuck to the sides where the oil didn't get high enough...

Sea salt!

Just sprinkle some sea salt in your pan while washing (dump out any standing water first) and it will get those pesky egg flakes right off! You can use this when scrubbing other difficult things.

Hooray!

What is your method of cooking eggs to avoid a mess? Do you have a pan scrubbing tip?

P.S. To my dismay I accidently ended my record of one or more blog posts per week since January. :( Boo hoo! I was out of town and completely forgot. Oh well! Time to work on beating my old record...

1 comment:

  1. I usually use a cast-iron pan to fry eggs, and have found that using a solid fat (butter, bacon grease, coconut oil) really helps the non-stick factor, as does heating up the pan first as you mentioned. This seems to work pretty well with stainless steel, too. For simple fried eggs (just cracking them in the pan, cooking and flipping), this makes them really nonstick. For scrambled eggs, they still stick a little, though. I usually scrape out the pan afterward with my metal spatula and that takes out most of the flakes. Then I wash just the inside with hot water and just a couple drops of dish soap on a rag/sponge/what have you, heat it on the stove to dry it out, then turn off the heat and wipe the inside with a thin layer of oil. For a stainless steel one, I scrape with the spatula, then pre-scrub with a dishrag/sponge and put it in the dishwasher.

    When I started using cast iron + solid fat, especially, I was so surprised that eggs (and the browned oil left over from frying pancakes, hash browns, and other things) didn't shellac themselves to the bottom of the pan anymore, laughing even in the face of steel wool and baby-totin' biceps. I thought it would be the other way around. Love the tip about scrubbing with sea salt, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...