Sunday, March 18, 2012

DIY: Fix broken glasses



A while long time ago, Katherine broke my glasses. In two. It was not pretty. I sighed many a sigh for my once perfect Ralph and Lauren Italian-made glasses.


The corner piece had snapped! 

Please note, this is not intended to be a permanent *fashionable* repair. However, it will be much more sturdy and look a whole lot better than scotch tape (I tried that route. I also tried balancing them on my nose and holding them in place with a hat.). Also, since many frames are different, this may not work for your exact pair. You should be able to tell by looking at your frames after reading the steps.

What you need is a tiny screwdriver and very thin crafting wire. If you want to be super awesome, use a color wire that matches your frames!

First, remove the screws. There should be two.

This side wasn't broken, but I used the picture for an example of where the screw is located. Of course, you could wrap wire around both sides so it looks like it was always meant to be that way. (Fashion Week, here I come!!!)

You can see the residue from when I used tape. 
Much better!
Cut a few inches of wire.
Just make sure the wire is very thin
String it through the screw holes.




Pull the wire and wrap the ends tightly.


Using wire give the frames stability while still allowing them to move.
Voila!
Sure, it is not perfect, but it is whole lot easier to manage while waiting for new glasses. I have been dreadfully procrastinating that one. I have a new prescription, but I lost it. By the way, I am going to take the plunge and buy glasses online. It is crazy cheap (Like $20). I mean, really, how many people can actually tell if you are wearing Ralph-and-Lauren-made-in-Italy glasses? Sigh. Can you tell I am going to miss my old glasses? Ha.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had had this idea when I sat on my glasses a few years back! I went several weeks without my glasses because it it.
    Hopefully I never need to use this tutorial, but it is a great idea!

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who has had many experiences with broken glasses, I love this! I'd love to know how ordering online goes...a lot of friends have had success with sites like Zenni, but I've never been able to figure out how to get the proper measurements from an optician without it being awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Fixing a broken glasses with these steps is simply awesome! And I can understand about the lots of sighing, since it also happened to me a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They broke again week ago since my fix-up job worked so well I procrastinated getting new ones.

      Delete
  4. That kind of fix is very familiar, but still as effective as ever. I remember seeing glasses having that kind of look growing up, with the wires coiled up at the glasses' edge. It’s a good DIY fix, but it’s best to have them repaired properly, or replaced altogether later on. Take care!

    Doris Gibbs @ Moody Eyes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...