Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thought of the day: Fathers

I realized this week something in my life that I found disturbing. I thought I would share it as it is kind of thought provoking, though I don't consider myself a sage of parenting by any means.

Basically it is this- I have seen many times fathers who are not very involved with their children. It is something that I have never wanted in our family, but I also realized that I, myself, was cultivating it already. You see, when it comes to our babies, I generally consider myself to be more knowledgeable than my husband in a lot of areas. Whereas it may be true that I have more "baby experience" it doesn't mean that I am always right (even though I think I am). Consequently, when my husband and I have a disagreement on some act of parenting, I don't usually seriously consider that he may be right and I may be wrong- or -gasp- we may both be right. Basically, what I have found myself doing is forcing my way over his. I had an epiphany a couple of days ago I really am obstructing my husband's role of father.

1 comment:

  1. I've thought about this before as well, in regards to my own husband as a father. It's helped me get over my pride to have DH be the at-home parent the last year +, that's for sure. Just realizing your attitude about it is a big step, I think!

    P.S. Your babies are so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...