Monday, August 8, 2011

The fourth plague hits our kitchen

"...Else, if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thy houses: and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of swarms of flies, and also the ground whereon they are." Exodus 8:21


Fruit flies. Everywhere. It started several weeks ago when Matt and I both forgot about garbage night. They came. We have been sore troubled trying to get rid of them. Since we have a lot of fruit in the house, it has been nearly impossible trying to get rid of them. Cleaning everything hasn't been working- especially when fruit can over-ripen so quickly.


After many unsuccessful attempts of ridding ourselves of them, we bought a fly tape and that has worked wonders. But really- who wants a nasty tape hanging around? 


I looked up ways of ending this infestation. I found this site to be very helpful. This great resource had a guide on making a trap. I did it, and it has worked so well.


To make one yourself, just take a canning jar and fill the bottom with delightful nastiness. I added a little red wine, and fruit and vegetable scraps. Mmmmmm. After that, make a funnel (with a tiny opening) with paper and tape it to the jar. They can't get out! Genius. Thank you WikiHow.


The outer circle is a reference to Dante's Inferno. 


I found this to be very disturbing, but the site also recommended flushing your sink drain with a cup of hot white vinegar. Apparently drains make nice hatching grounds. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I can barely take the thought of it. Yuck yuck yuck. You can believe I dumped vinegar down our drains, haha. 

4 comments:

  1. I've found that putting all the fruit in the refrigerator helps, too. They can't get to it there, so the trap is even more enticing. I like the funnel idea. We usually poke holes in the lid of a jar, which works OK, but this sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. We did that too. The problem is that the fruit that we had didn't react well to the refrigerator. I think holes in a lid sounds pretty awesome too. Oh, do I hate fruit flies, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate fruit flies too and the funnel idea is really neat. We haven't had any in a while but it will inevitably happen again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's informative. I liked the first trick.

    We have a link-up party going on - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. I would really appreciate if you'd link up some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-3-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...