Monday, May 9, 2011

A pretty ricebag for your aching muscles

Ok, I am not going to lie. I have been using a sock filled with rice, tied off with a hair tie. Beautiful, huh?

Plus it gets smelly when I overheat the rice. Yuck. As you can probably tell by my blog, I like pretty things. I had been meaning to make a nicer rice bag for a long time, but never felt like sewing one when my machine was out. Finally, I did.

You need

1. Some pretty flannel (I used a simple creamy white for the backside)
2. Rice (some people recommend corn or buckwheat)
3. Dried lavender

Organic lavender from Paula Jean's Shop
(As a side note, I would recommend this shop. It is organic, so you don't have to worry about pesticide residue. Also, I love to know that I have used an independant shop that is promoting small businusess rather than excessive corporations.)


To make the bag

If you have ever sewed anything in your life, you can easily make this bag. It doesn't need photo instructions. Just cut out a rectangle the size of your choice from both flannel prints.  Sew it up but leave one of the narrow sides open to turn and fill with rice. I added three lines in the middle (After turning!) to keep the rice from all falling to the bottom. Add your lavender and rice alternatively in small amounts. I used somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup of lavender. Once you are finished turn in the raw edges and sew it closed. Presto!




It was so simple. Now when I heat the bag it smells so much nicer. The scent of lavender is supposed to be quite relaxing, so I imagine that it could also help your muscles to relax as well. I put mine in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Be careful though, I have burned holes in my "sock bags" before! ( I think I put them in for much longer though)

Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Hello! I've been making rice bags for years! I have several available in my store. They are awesome!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've added your buttons to My Button Collection page.

    Have a great week,


    Kelly
    Coupons, Crafts and Causes
    Coupons, Crafts and Causes - Facebook
    Indiana Inker
    Indiana Inker - FB

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...