Monday, May 16, 2011

Enchanted Dream Ruffle Skirt Tutorial (Made from a sheet and other things)


Just about anywhere you look, you will see some designer's version of a ruffle skirt. Bouncy and full, they add feminine charm to any outfit while still remaining a light and breezy option for summer.

I've been wanting one myself. I discovered this weekend that it really isn't that complicated to make. Though this skirt is my own design, I was inspired to try one from this tutorial.

I thought you might like you try making one yourself. I will add a disclaimer- it takes a long time to sew the necessary ruffles... a long time. It was worse for me because as I was designing this skirt myself I would make mistakes and have to rip stitches. I don't own a seam ripper, so I picked them the hard way. Thankfully, that fits the slogan of nearly all of my projects: I make mistakes so you don't have to.

What you need:




You will never guess it but, the foundation of this skirt is... another sheet.
This one had several stains. I think this one was candy.

 You will also need some long strips of various fabrics that match your color scheme. I used nine strips. It was petty easy with a rotary cutter. Most of them were around 3"-5" high. I didn't measure the length as long as it was at least the same or longer as my skirt.I would recommend trying various lengths so you can have varying ruffles. Also remember that lace is in this season. I cut up an old stained curtain.

You also need thick elastic- enough to go around your waist. Mine was about two inches.

Step Two:
Cut out your skirt. I cut a rectangle that was 24" x 55."  (About 2 feet by 1.5 yards) I am a small/medium and it fits me well. If you take advantage of the pre-made hem from the sheet you can save a whole step!

Step Three: 


Ruffle all of the longer strips. Sew a hem if needed.

Sew the strips to the skirt. I would recommend using a ziz-zag stitch to prevent fraying.

This will take a while.

You are probably still sewing.

You might be done now.



Step Four:

This is the sewn back.
Now you have to sew the sides of the skirt together. Make sure all of your ruffles are even. Pin super carefully and baste it once (so you can make sure it is even) before sewing a secure seam. I finished the seam by covering it with a strip of leftover ruffle. You don't really have to do this.


Step Five:

Cut out the elastic (so that it fits around your waist with a little stretch).
Pin the top of the skirt over the elastic band and sew it up!

You might be done...

(Optional) Step Six:

I cut out another piece of the sheet to be an underskirt lining. I did this mostly because the skirt is white and I didn't 't want to have to wear a slip all of the time in the hot summer. I just cut out a rectangle that was somewhat smaller than the skirt. Again, I took advantage of the pre-made hem from the sheet. I sewed the sides and attached it to the leftover raw-edge from the waistband. This also covers the raw edge and finishes the skirt nicely.
You can't tell from the picture what is going on, lol. 


You are finished!



After spending hours on this I learned a valuable lesson about not becoming obsessed.


Here is another look that you can get from the same pattern:
The fabric for this skirt was chosen and arranged by my friend. I did most of the sewing using the above pattern. 

24 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. I wish I had time to do this. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty I pinned this so I can make one. Thank you so much for sharing. I found you through the sumos sweet stuff linky party and I am so glad I did. You are so cute. Come and say hi I love visitors and I am doing my first giveaway soon so come on over

    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I'm a sucker for ruffles.

    http://www.alittlenosh.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this skirt, I just might have to try this.

    http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so pretty !!!! Thank you for your comment on my tank have a wonderful day. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. just found you on Not Just a Housewife...great job on the skirt, I've been wanting to make one of these skirts for awhile! Hopefully I'll be posting mine on my blog soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is beautiful... Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sooooo love the thriftiness of this skirt! So creative! thanks for posting the link on my Reap What You Sew linky party! I will be posting my skirt into an apron, in a day or so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Rebekah. First off I always wanted to spell my name with a 'kah" kinda of like Ann with an 'e' from Anne of Green Gables. :) Anyway this is such a sweet skirt!!! Delighful. Also thanks for coming over and commenting on our pretend play Sweet Treats Shop. :) You are always welcome for a virtual tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable. You are so talented. What a great idea using an old sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cool! Great idea to make this from a sheet and other odds and ends. Love the look! Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job! I am so amazed that you don't have a seam ripper, girl! I have 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    They are a most necessary evil. However, you can use a rotary cutter, too, but you have to take great care not to cut into your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it and now need to make one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty! Great job.
    I'm off to rumage through my fabric to see what I can come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pinned!

    Love it, it's so cute and fairly easy. I will be making one of these in the near future.

    Onica @ The Peasant Housewife

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is super cute. I will be making one today! I may even blog about it. lol

    http://fountainescapades.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. i posted pics of my version on my blog. although i think i need to take better pics when i'm all dressed for church today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Being that I'm a sewing gadget queen, I have a ruffler for my sewing machine, and it can ruffle and attach the ruffle in one go. I also have a serger, so I would use that to finish any raw edges.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A serger must be a beautiful thing to own.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We're on the same page. I love reinventing/recycling old bed sheets/pillow cases/curtains/etc. into "new" wearables.

    The best part is putting it all together and voila, a "masterpiece" :)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Thank you for sharing the tut!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful skirt.

    I have been using sheets for years to create many products, twin flat sheets have sooooo much yardage it is crazy and for such a great price. Now days with all the colors it makes for fun and saves money with great results. I glad to see others do it as well.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like this idea, but I would make the lining skirt first and attatch the ruffles to it. Making likes to make sure the ruffles are straight. That way ther is no seam showing. Just picky I guess. But love this idea.Thanks and keep them comming.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The skirt is too cute. Made my brain work. Came up with the idea that this idea would make a real nice bed skirt. I love ruffles and lace!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...