Monday, May 2, 2011

Easy shirt refashion



First of all, I have to say that I am in love with Ruche. I love their dresses, skirts, everything. I love this cardigan:
Get it here:
I will admit it, my cardigan comes nowhere near it's awesomeness. It is really quite different, but I would be lying if I didn't say it was my inspiration.
So... I have had an old silk blouse that I got at a garage sale; due to being pregnant, I have hardly ever worn it. I was going to give it away, but decided to keep it to use the fabric for something.

These grainy pictures should keep me from working at night!
Step One:

Find some old shirt that you would like to re-vamp.Get some wide flat lace. I used lace that is around three inches wide.

Step Two:

The black lines point out where to pin- if you didn't know where the buttons were, lol.


Pin the buttons and button holes inwards. Cut off the buttons. You can save these for later if you don't wish to use a ribbon tie for the cardigan.

Step Three: 

The sleeve disappeared. I have no idea how.

Sew the buttons inwards. This includes the collar.

Step Four:

It looks bulky because the lace is not cut- this was a mock up of how I would do it.
Pin the lace where you would like it. Sew the lace. This part is tricky because you want it to match the seams from the shirt to where you stitch when you can. Except for the midriff, I sewed two seams so the lace would lay flat. Start with the midriff or bottom- make sure you sew the lace that goes up the buttons and around the neck LAST. I did not do this and had to rip stitches. Don't worry though, it is super forgiving. Most little mistakes will be unnoticeable.


Step Five: 


I sewed a little ribbon on the inside of the cardigan to tie it with. The first ribbon is the loop that the second ribbon is held with. Do this on both sides. If you wish, you could use buttons instead. I hate sewing button holes. I am pregnant (due in seven weeks) so something that is movable is nice for me.

Now you are finished!






My super thin model has stuffing in the back so it looks lopsided.

Ready for a walk in the park!

If Katherine was more cooperative and if I didn't have to rip seams (learn from my mistakes!) this would have been extremely quick and easy to make. It still was easy, but it took a while with many interruptions. Still, I am a huge fan of it and though I like the cardi from Ruche the most, I will happily wear this one.

If you try making one like this, I would love to see pictures and possibly do a feature on your work.

15 comments:

  1. Great idea! I want to look through my closet to make one. Would love for you to link this to my Craftastic party:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have a silky shirt just like that with buttons that constantly betray me by popping open. Methinks it's time for a little revenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I actually like yours better! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!!! I've become so inspired by visiting blogs like yours. Thanks for visiting me today! I am now your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea! Beautiful blog!
    Please stop by my blog this week, before Sunday, and post a link of gift ideas for the moms in your life. Winner of the random generator chooses a craft book to be mailed to them! http://the4rsRamblings.blogspot.com and I would be honored if you would add me to your linky party collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I think you should put up the link for this refashion, it is so pretty, and an inexpensive gift idea for moms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really sweet little cardigan now! Love it!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous. I see blouses like that all the time at the Value Village, now I have a plan. Found you via Tea Rose Home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! what an amazing transformation. It doesn't even look like the same one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks beautiful with the lace. I want to try it!! Thanks for stopping by my blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOO sooo pretty. I want to run out and get supplies to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your version better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Makes me wish I had kept mine....although, I might be able to get it back.....hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...