Saturday, February 26, 2011

FARE THEE WELL, YOU HORRID WEEK.

RSV. Ack. I never want to hear those letters together again. Well, it could have been worse- much worse.

Katherine got sick last Saturday. Unfortunately, Matt was gone the entire weekend on a choir trip. This was her first illness (yeah, first illness in almost eight months, nice- right?), so I didn't know what I was in for. We took her to the doctor Monday morning and found that she had RSV. We were sent home with a nebulizer and a hopeful comment from the pediatrician that, at least then, she didn't need hospitalizaton.

That was when the fun began.


She hates the breathing treatments. She would look at me with pleading, "why are you doing this to me?" eyes as tears streamed down her face. It was heart wrenching. We got through it though and she seemingly still loves me.

On Friday, we went back and the doctor said that she seemed to be basically over it. She has a cough that, like any cold, may last for a while.

I spent all of this morning cleaning like a maniac. It was great. She was so needy during the week that I could barely do anything. She wanted to be held and cuddled a lot. When she tried to play by herself she often started coughing spasms so I would pick her up to help her though it.

We watched a lot of TV. All of my scruples and mores were thrown out the window in the name of sanity. Yeah, it was a lot of TV.

In the midst of it all I have decided to try the Curly Girl method for my hair. In a short week I became obsessed with the idea of abandoning sulfates and silicones. I get excited anytime I can eliminate another chemical. I never really thought about the junk that is in shampoo and conditioner before. At some point I would like to make my own conditioner, but I have to take baby steps or I will get too disheartened. I have had great success so far.

I washed with straight lemon juice. Lemon juice is supposed to remove mineral deposits that build up on one's hair. My hair has been noticeably darker. After one washing I noticed my lighter blond steaks starting to make a comeback. Yes! ALSO, by giving up my rough yanking a pick/brush through my hair and roughing it up with a towel it has been noticeably curlier (For me, this is a BIG DEAL. I used to beg God for curls right up there with not letting our house burn down when I was a kid).

So, it is promising and Katherine is [mostly] better- A good end to a stressful, on-the-verge-of-insanity week.

And no, I didn't  proof read. It happens to be my job. After doing it for hours, it is the last thing I want to do before bed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I hope this week is better! I'm glad she didn't have to be hospitalized. It must partially be a function of age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! One of the other seminary babies is in the hospital for pneumonia right now- from what I heard, it started with RSV. Crazy stuff. She lost her voice today- she can barely cry. It is sad, cute, and funny all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest had RSV when he was four months old. It was really scary. His lasted nearly a month, and I think I barely slept that entire time because I was afraid he was going to stop breathing in the night. I am so glad that your little girl fought it quickly and that you survived. It is so hard being a mama and watching our babies go through illnesses like these. I hope she continues to stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...