Thursday, October 7, 2010

A quilt

I decided to get back into sewing by making a quilt. I chose a simple design so that I would not want to kill myself. It has been quite a while since I embarked on a decent sewing project. I believe the last was a period dress from the 1700's that I did as a history independent study.
 Yes, yes, I know cotton is not a normally accepted fabric for a dress during this time period. However, I justified it (I didn't have the money for something better anyway) that cotton was worn by the wealthy. So, if I ever go to a reenactment, I am going to have to be stinking rich. haha
 The skirt is a separate piece.

It required a great deal of research, a set of stays, chemise and a lot of hand sewing. I guess I needed a break after that.

So, getting back to business, I decided to make a quilt. I had wanted to make something for our niece, so I decided this was perfect.
                                                         I picked out shades of green.


 OH MY GOSH. I thought the math would kill me. I decided to use 6.5 inch squares. I used a solid color for half, then rotated with the prints.
 After a long time of cutting (myself included) with the rotary, the pieces were finished- well mostly. I needed 18 colored and 18 solid.I also needed enough solid for a border. Part of this was because I underestimated the amount of fabric I would need. I used about 1.25 yards of solid, 1.5 yards of flannel backing, and three fabric quarters. I didn't bother with batting because I wanted it to be lightweight.
 It was the first time I had used my sewing machine. It was a gift from my parents for our wedding.

 I sewed around the border with green stitching. You can't see it on the front, but the light backing shows it very well.
I tied it off with green embroidery thread. The whole process took probably 4-5 hours.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I didn't know you sewed. Also you did an awesome job on the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I took a hiatus from sewing for about three years. I have been trying to get back into it. I used to do it all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so gorgeous! I am going to attempt to sew a few gifts for Christmas, but I don't have your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I have had stuff out to make a quilt (or more) for months and haven't gotten down to it. I keep procrastinating on getting my sewing machine tuned up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I forgot to mention how fantastic the dress looks! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...