Saturday, October 23, 2010

Birth announcement/ thinking of you cards tutorial

I was given a hand/footprint picture set for my daughter. It occurred to me that I could turn it into a lovely project for family members who live far away (My husband and I moved to a different state so he could attend seminary).
Since it was the day Katherine turned three months, it seemed perfect.
After making the picture the kit was intended for, I used some left over blank greeting cards. It actually wasn't that messy, though there was a reason that I ended up using her foot instead of her hand. I imagine that when she is older a hand could be easier.


 After that, I printed wallet sized photos.

 I glued them on with photo safe scrapbook glue. To put a border around the edge, I used white ribbon. If you ever try this it would be better to use a colored ribbon (like pink) so there isn't so much white space.
I liked it, but wanted to add color and draw attention away from possible fraying.

I used a paint marker to add a border. I would recommend experimenting with extra ribbon.  

Here are a couple of the finished cards. Yes, the picture is dark because I procrastinated taking it for almost three weeks. I decided to finally do it tonight so I could finish this post. I left my camera in the car, so I used my cell phone, thus the poor quality. At any rate, I also used a thick dark pen to write her name on the top of each card.

I already sent them to her grandparents and (though they are obligated to) liked them very much.

5 comments:

  1. Cute cards! Thank you for the comments on my blog. Fr John graduated in 2005. Daria is my mother-in-law:) What a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet cards! I was flipping through blogger and landed here. I love the quilt you made! After I got married I began sewing, too. When my daughter was born I had so much fun making all sorts of bonnets and little dresses for her...

    Anyway, very nice posts. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! @Mat. Emily- I am also friends with your sister! She came to our wedding.

    @Blondee, I was just looking at your site. I was homeschooled and plan on doing it when our daughter is old enough. I really liked your ideas about saving time in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable. You did such a nice job. And your daughter is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I am such a lame person- I find out about new comments days after they were posted. Sorry! Yeah, I think she is cute too, but I am super biased, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you have a particular question, you can always email me at rebekahbethany {at} gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...